Part of the Crown Estate, Richmond Green is an open grassland recreation area located near the centre of Richmond. Roughly 4.8 ha (12 acres) in size, it is bordered by broad-leaf trees (Lime, Plane & Norway Maple) and overlooked by a many fine period houses and historic buildings. These include the beautiful Richmond Theatre and remnants of Richmond Palace.
In the Middle Ages it was a venue for jousting tournaments. Nowadays, the rivals are local village cricket teams. In fact, cricket has been played on The Green since the 17th century (but the earliest recorded match was Surrey v Middlesex in 1730). The Green also hosts the traditional May Fair and the Richmond May Ball.